The G-Man News-Stand

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Rainy Days

We've been on a pretty long rain streak since New Years and after going through the same routine everyday, I believe it's time I pointed a few things out. In my latest treck to work, I experienced what I call the mist-type of rain. Everyone's been through it, it's cold and damp and you can feel a cold spray of water on your face. However, umbrellas are useless against them no matter the size, since the mist can just seep under it. That being said, there are tons of New Yorkers who insist on still using an umbrella in this type of rain. I know it can't help them, they know it's pointless, yet people feel the need to use it. So as I walked to work "unarmed" with my umbrella in my holster, it really gave me a chance to observe some behaviors I see with other umbrella people.

Here's a rule that should become law. If you are under 5'6", you should not be carrying a golf umbrella. Now I'm all for banning golf umbrellas to everywhere except the golf course, but if you are short there is no reason to carry a golf umbrella. They're enormous, probably big enough for 3 people your size. Plus, they're usually too heavy for these people anyway which makes them lose control of the umbrella (which is key for proper umbrella etiquette). People can get severely injured by these little people carrying these ginormous devices and it needs to be stopped. I would love to see the hospital reports and find out how many golf umbrella injuries occur a day. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few concussions, stab wounds, and severed limbs because of them. Those of you who know me are aware that I'm not giant by any means and I feel it is my duty as a human to avoid using a clown-sized umbrella.

Here's another rule that might help some people along: Keeping the umbrella closer to your head won't make you any dryer. There are people out there that try to hold their umbrella as low as possible to prevent the chance of any water actually touching them. 99% of the time, it doesn't matter how high or low you hold the umbrella, you'll probably be just as dry. The people that hold the umbrellas low find it necessary to cover their eyes and end up not being able to see a thing while they're walking. They zig-zag around the sidewalk, bumping into people and objects like they're driving drunk. And getting bumped by these people is no fun. It might not be as bad as getting whacked in the head by a golf umbrella, but these idiots step on your feet and continually knock into you throughout your walk.

Maybe we need to implement a ticketing system to prevent poor umbrella etiquette. Or perhaps everyone must be required to take a class, similar to drivers ed. You take a written exam on the history of umbrellas, weather, and proper umbrella carrying. Then you go for a "road test" with an umbrella expert. He'll follow you around as you execute opening and closing the umbrella, left and right-hand turns, dodging passer-bys, and so on. If you pass, you can carry an umbrella without risk of fine. Failing the test means you better have a good raincoat and goggles to wear outside.

Lets see some reader-interaction today. Try and post a funny umbrella experience you've had recently. Funniest one will get posted on the site this afternoon. Just click on the comment button below.

4 Comments:

  • Well Gary I do agree with your thoughts and that what you have seen people do on the streets I have seen as well. However I do disagree with your strict standards that people must pass in order to use an umbrella. No matter what rules you would like the gov't to pass or whatnot I feel I have earned the right to use my umbrella anyway I choose. Here is a little history for those of you who don't know:

    Last year right in the smack middle of busy season (which is when I am already at my most miserable) I was walkin to work in the rain one morning with my friend to my left and the street on my right. As we are walking down in the rain a car comes by and totally soaks me and my friend doesnt get a drop on him. Needless to say i was Angry. The next day it has finally stopped raining and so I thought I had nothing to worry about as I walked to work with my friend again. What happens? A car goes through the one remaining puddle in the street and again I am covered in water. So obviously I am not a fan of the rain at this point. Now a week goes by and I happen to leave my bag at work, which has my umbrella in it. When I left work it was a little cloudy but no rain. I come out of Grand Central only to find the hardest downpour I ever saw. So I run into some store for cover and wait for it to let up. After 20 minutes it still isnt letting up one bit. So I decide I have no choice but to run home, and we all know that I clearly got drenched yet again. So after all my wonderful weather experiences I feel that I can do whatever the hell I please with my umbrella and I am sure that is how some of these other people feel as well.

    Levy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 AM  

  • Personally, I just put up my umbrella, put my head down and carry on. I mean, yeah some people are idiots with the umbrella, but your primary concern should be protecting your eyes from the spokes. That's the real hazard out there (not getting wet -- come on Levy, you're washable). If you get wet you can always dry off, but if one of those spokes gets you in the eye...game over. That being said, you know how they have safety corners for tables and stuff for when you have babies? There should be safety covers for the ends of the umbrella spokes. They should be mandatory.

    Michaela

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 AM  

  • Michaela brings up a good idea with the safety devices. Those ends of the umbrella are very sharp, I think I have some permanent scars from getting hit with them.

    Levy...typical Angry Man story.

    By Blogger GMan, at 11:35 AM  

  • With our topic today of having a drivers-ed course for umbrellas, I think that it would only be appropriate that I give an important shout-out/warning to everyone out there. One of our daily readers, a Miss Nina Kligman, passed her driving road test yesterday. The G-Man News-Stand would like to congratulate her, good job.

    That being said, I would like to issue an emergency warning to all of Long Island. Nina is approximately 5'0" tall, can barely see over the steering wheel, and will be terrorizing all of Nassau County shortly. Please avoid all road, parkways, and traveling of any kind while in the area. You have officially been warned, good luck patrons.

    By Blogger GMan, at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home