A Small Valentine's Day Warm-up
Well here we are, a few days before Valentine's Day and I can already feel the madness of this terrible holiday creeping in to the picture. I've had requests from readers for me to post a routine that I performed while I was still at Indiana about Valentine's Day. I thought about posting it today, but will instead hold off until Monday, the actual day of death.
Just to give you all a taste, those of you who have seen me perform my Valentine's routine know that every year, I can sense Valentine's Day approaching by the little signs floating around. The colors in stores start to change, the air gets thinner, dogs become frightened, and most telling is when I receive a Valentine's Day card from my grandparents. For as long as I can remember, my Grandparents have sent me a Valentine's Day card a few days before the "holiday" always wishing me the best. In addition to the very sweet card is an exciting Valentines gift. What is this gift you ask? A check made out for $5. Every year I get this check and although I appreciate the gesture, I'm always baffled as to why, if they are insistent on sending me $5, can't they just drop a $5 in the envelope and send it to me. Now I love my grandparents, but it's such a hastle to receive the check, endorse it, and get it to my bank on Long Island to deposit in my account. It actually costs me $12.50 round trip on a train just to go to Long Island. Now I have an MBA in accounting and a specialization in corporate finance. In all my years of studying, models prepared, and research, I can officially state that I am losing money on this transaction. Are we that afraid of the postman these days? If a $5 bill somehow gets lost in the mail, is all of our retirement funds and assets going to get seized? The problem is that my grandparents study their checking account bank statements, so if I don't cash the check within a 4 day period, the rumbles begin in the family. I won't even get into the one year I didn't cash the check.
So last night when I went to check the mail, there was my Valentine's Day card from my grandparents and of course, a $5 check was enclosed. So that can only mean one thing, Valentine's Day is frighteningly close. If you're "celebrating" this weekend, I wish you all luck. Girls, behave. Guys, be strong. And if my grandparents have actually figured out the internet and are reading this, it's all in good fun. I love getting the $5, it's almost worth a beer in Manhattan and damnit, it's delicious. Check back Monday to hear a great Valentine's Day comedy bit and have a great weekend.

10 Comments:
I definitely appreciated that. The same thing happens to me on all the other holidays, but at least it's usually $10 or 15, I've never gotten as low as $5. That's why i love my mom, she sends me a card for all of these holidays and there's always cash, no check. I'm excited for the Valentine's post on Monday. I hate Valentine's day. I've come up with a new plan where I'm not doing anything for Valentine's Day and then I'll do something else after and say something like "you are special enough for Valentine's Day every day of the year". This way I can maybe not lose any points and get to continue my protest of Valentine's Day.
- Mr. Weaver
By
Anonymous, at 2:34 PM
Heather, you are clearly from Missouri. How does showing your appreciation for someone on V-day really show how much he cares? Going by NYC Valentine's Day dinner prices (which are jacked way up for that one day), here's a healthy alternative. You can have your boy take you out the day before an after V-day for expensive dinners, fly roundtrip to Paris, and adopt a child for less than it would be for one meal in Manhattan. Ponder that one for a while and get back to me.
By
GMan, at 3:45 PM
That's right, girls. It doesn't matter that your trailer-living, no-shoes-wearing, alcoholic boyfriend treats you like crap 364 days a year (that's bumped up to 365 in a Leap Year). If he spends 4 times the market cost for a dozen roses, a Hallmark card with hearts, a box of chocolate (watch those carbs!), and maybe some jewelry, all else is forgiven. Remember all those times he was too busy to hang out with you because he wanted to watch football with the guys? Or when you caught him checking out other women? Or when he was sleeping with your sister? Hey, me neither. Everything else is forgotten. Because this meaningless holiday is his chance to prove to you that he REALLY cares, since he apparently doesn't work hard enough during the rest of the year. This one day of going all-out is a sign that he was sent from heaven and the two of you are meant to be.
By
Steve, at 5:22 PM
I think people are too hard on valentine's day as a holiday. It provides a good excuse to do something nicer than usual. I think most people don't like it becasue of the imposed obligation of doing something on Valentine's day.
However, I do hold to the cheapskate's view of how to maximize the holiday: Go to dinner the day before or after the 14th (or in this year's case, tonight which conveniently is a Saturday) and get two dozen roses at Costco for $12.95.
By
John S., at 8:56 AM
Actually, the day before is Sunday, not Saturday. And I'll be paying exorbitant London prices. But it will be well worth it. I'm not so jaded as to forget that I'll be with someone I'm mad about...
By
SJH, at 3:24 PM
Sorry, I was a bit unclear there; I meant that I'm going out Saturday this year even though it's not the day before.
SJH, from your blog it sounds like you have good reason to be excited about Valentine's day. Do they celebrate that heavily in London?
By
John S., at 4:31 PM
I lived in London during a Valentine's Day and I honestly don't remember the day being a big deal. Maybe that's what got me anti-Valentine's Day in the first place, I was in denial from missing it which in turn gave me the shakes, the shakes turned to anger, the anger to rage...
By
GMan, at 6:30 PM
That happened to me once too. I was in denial from missing it, which in turn gave me the shakes, the shakes turned to anger, the anger to rage. Oh wait, on second thought, that could have been heroin, not Valentine's Day.
By
Steve, at 11:23 AM
I have renamed Valentine's Day to "Single Awareness Day." Nice day for us pathetic loners to feel awkwardly EXTRA aware of our SINGLENESS! LOL!!
( no I am not whining! I have a twisted sense of humor is all)
By
Straight Up with Sherri, at 8:22 PM
I just bumped into a guy in my building elevator holding a dozen roses. He looked as if he was walking down death row. I talked to him on the trip up, tried to give him some words of encouragement: It's only 1 day, you can do it, just picture yourself in a happy place, it's only $400, etc.
30 minutes left till the big day. Good luck everyone.
By
GMan, at 11:32 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home