The G-Man News-Stand

Friday, February 04, 2005

Unproductive Days

Being that last night was a Thursday and the weekend starts on Thursday during the wintertime (Wednesday in the summer months), I decided to go out to the bars. Now I know full well that I have work early in the morning on Friday and during the early stages of drinking I'm consciously thinking about waking up early and being productive at work. Yet no matter how long you think about it or how hard you try, you always drink more on a Thursday than you would any other day of the week.

After a few hours you suddenly become a math wiz, calculating the exact hours of sleep you can sneak in if you went home that instant. The key is understanding yourself to really figure out how many hours you will sleep. Some will factor in having two more drinks, not getting a cab, throwing up, fighting off the spins to determine how much sleep they can really get. I personally have to consider the strong chance of getting food on the way home, 2 drunk-dial phone calls, trying to find my bottle of Tylenol, using IM, and finding something good on tv. You start justifying those hours of sleep in your mind and keep on drinking. Sure I can work tomorrow on 3.5 hours of sleep. Sure I have a crucial meeting at 9:45, but 4 hours and a new shirt should do me well.

Then you wake up to your alarm and everyone swears off drinking for the rest of their lives. "What was I thinking, I'm such an idiot." It usually feels like a cruel joke trying to get out of bed, tossing and turning to fight off the spins, hitting the snooze button at least 7 times. You finally do get to work, late of course, you sit there and just kind of wonder how in the hell you're going to get anything done. When you sober up around 10:45, the headaches start,you get very tired, angry, upset...every emotion goes crashing through your skull. It's not until around 3 in the afternoon till you're fully recovered and then we all know what time it is...time to plan your Friday evening. After swearing off drinking just hours earlier, the excitement of happy hours and going out that night outweigh your promise to yourself.

Hope everyone is feeling better as they read this. You're not alone and remember, going out tonight is only a few hours away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home