The G-Man News-Stand

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The White Pants

And in a fraction of the time, we're up to 2000 hits. So in celebration of another milestone, let me share an experience that happened to me a few years ago and what I learned.

During my time in graduate school at Indiana University, I made tons of new friends and met a bunch of interesting people. I didn't get a chance to get too close to everyone I had classes with, but by the end of my first year I was fairly well acquainted with about 80% of the MBAs I regularly saw. One individual in particular I was not so well acquainted with was a very quiet, shy, and sweet girl in my class. She kept to herself mostly, didn't speak the best English, and was friendly and polite. During my time in grad school, I'd say that I had one small conversation with her prior to this event and it probably went something like, "Hey Gary" and I responded "Hi." Very deep conversation as you can see.

I was in a food court in my second year of business school and I heard a quiet whisper of a noise coming from behind me. I turned to see the girl I referred to above saying hello to me. She was a nice girl and I heard she had a small crush on me, so to be polite I struck up a quick conversation with her about how everything is going, how are classes, and so on. At the time she was wearing a very bright outfit, light colored shirt and white jeans, very stylish and she looked nice. I was waiting for my food and had my hands free but she was holding on to a food tray packed with stuff, slice of pizza, maybe a bag of chips, and an open container of iced coffee. The conversation seemed to be winding down and I said bye. Just as I was about to grab my food to walk away, the girl somehow loses her balance, the tray goes flying into the air and the open container of iced coffee spills all over her. Luckily I was unharmed, not a splash touched me, but this poor girl had coffee stains all over her bright shirt and white pants, we're talking completely covered.

Some people might rush to her aid, scramble for napkins, maybe pick the tray up and help her clean. But I was frozen in my place. This was perhaps the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life, too funny to even laugh. Here was this girl completely covered in coffee, on the verge of tears, everyone stopping to look. She sees me standing there, staring at her in shock. We locked eyes and glared at each other in silence for what seemed like hours. Finally said to me, "It's ok, you can go." I was still speechless and in another world mentally and could not get myself together. After contemplating my options, I gave her a slight nod, turned around and walked away.

It was possibly the rudest thing I've ever done in my life but when I think back I couldn't imagine handling it differently. I don't think we ever spoke again the remainder of my Indiana days. Did I learn anything from this event??? I don't think so. I probably should have helped her but hindsight is 20-20. Next time you see the most ridiculous thing ever, see how quickly you react. Lets see some comments on this one.

8 Comments:

  • I remember that day!! Still my favorite Wylie story!! Just think Gary, if that hadn't happened you might have gotten to be her "American Cowboy"!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • I will not reveal any 2002 overseas stories, including my Munich experiences with Alice, Shane, and Ryan, until the year 2006. It's like fine liquor, it needs to sit for a while...

    Except maybe the time I was in Graz, Austria and Joe, Levy, Trush, and myself unexpectantly sat down at a brothel and struck up a conversation with...

    By Blogger GMan, at 3:45 PM  

  • Kayla has offiically written the best post of the day as of 3:45pm. I've linked her site on the website, Cellar Door, if you want to check out her stuff. See...funny posts are rewarded...

    By Blogger GMan, at 3:47 PM  

  • i see y u have all the luck w/ the ladies w/ compassion like that.
    i woulda understood if u laughed... then helped her...
    cause thats too funny to laugh.


    for example some chick was walking next to me today and just tripped on her
    own 2 feet.
    it was damn funny, she like dove forward, like going for a TD catch or
    something, i laughed, but i helped her up.
    hell im still laughing picturing it..


    i wnonder what this girl looked like... and what kindve white pants were
    they... like skin tight, or like tappered leg...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:25 PM  

  • That last post was from Arun, thanks for the comment.

    After receiving a whole day of funny feedback, critcism, and confussion, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that if the girl the story is about has read this today, I'm sorry. I should have helped you clean up or picked up your tray. That's right, I'm the asshole. That should clear the air I think.

    By Blogger GMan, at 7:58 PM  

  • Something similar happened to a friend of mine in college. He was the clutzy type, so this was the norm, not the exception. But, one day, while jaywalking across a fairly busy street, his backpack fell open and about 10 books/notebooks poured out of his bag. Just imagine this poor guy blocking traffic while he scooped up his books, chased down his loose papers, and grabbed a few pencils. We called him "Ed" after that, as in "Special Ed". And no, I didn't help. I was too busy laughing my ass off.

    By Blogger SJH, at 6:57 AM  

  • In college, we used to try and incite such funny incidents. One favorite trick was when a guy was known to have a study date with a girl he was interested in, to covertly fill his textbook and notebook from the class with clipped out pictures from dirty magazines before he left. Thus, when the book was opened, porn would scatter everywhere.

    Guys typically found this much funnier than girls did, however.

    By Blogger John S., at 3:06 PM  

  • A friend of mine just came across this story and forwarded it to me. I remember that day, I just didn't know someone would be as stupid as you are to actually post a story that describes egotism at is worse. To set the record straight, I did not like you, how could I like a superficial, egotistical, selfish, self centered bastard. I must admit I thought you were ok when I met you, but once I realized you and your drunken friends where nothing but a group of idiots, that faint feeling went away. Please stop thinking about this story as the pinnacle of your time; it certainly was the lowest human side of you. Have a great life; I am sure you are still single and unable to find the single perfect person to make your heart skip a beat. Don't be too picky, you obviously have not much to offer, anybody can get an education, humanity and integrity you don't posses.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home