Pocket Problems
Back in the Mid-90's when I was in high school, I remember a time when I would carry with me a wallet in my back pocket, a few bucks in my front pocket, maybe a pen, and that would be it. I used to wonder to myself, what are all these other pockets for if I have nothing to put in them? I'd be comfortable all day, if I wanted to stand around with a hand in a pocket, no problem. I could run, dance, skip...whatever.
Now at 24, I long for the days of pocket space. At what point did every inch of my pocket become assigned to something? Although I am an accountant, it took some engineering blueprints for me to perfect the proper placements of all of my crap in my pockets. Here's the layout I have going right now and I'm sure most guys can understand where I'm coming from. I still have the wallet going in my back pocket, but now it's more like a George Castanza wallet with credit cards, atm cards, health insurance cards, and every small memento I've ever gotten that can fit somewhere in my wallet. In my front right pocket, I've allocated what little room I have for my keychain (currently filled with 5 keys and a NYSC entrance thing), my money clip and whatever money I have in it, a cell phone, and a pen or pencil. The left pocket has my Blackberry (which is huge), work IDs, and there's enough room for about 15 cents, pending on what types of coins I have. After all of these things are carefully placed in their appropriate spot after I finish getting dressed, my walking speed has substantially decreased, I can't do quick turns, my lateral movements are no longer an option, by belt starts to tear because the weight on the pants is too much, and I can never ever put my hand in a pocket.
What happened over the past few years that made my pocket space go from sitting pretty to nothing left? I swear I feel like I'm walking around with bricks attached to my sides. One of the few advantages I have going for me is that I can never again get the cliche "So is that a ?? in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" It doesn't quite work anymore because at any given point in the day it looks like I have 2-3 erections at the same time and most people would be too frightened to ask me that question. The question then becomes, what are my alternatives? If I started using a pocket protector like the nerds in the 80's used to do I can probably free up a little bit of my right pocket but as an accountant I'd just be adding to the stereotype. The Jerry Seinfeld European handbag approach is interesting but I'm not too interested in carrying around a purse. Which means I'm pretty much out of options. I'll stick to my efficient pocket organization and be uncomfortable all day. Suggestions??

10 Comments:
What type of money clip is that again?
The Angry Man
By
Anonymous, at 9:37 AM
get a clip for your cellphone and blackberry
By
Anonymous, at 11:49 AM
The belt clip is something I considered for a second or two...then I realized that it didn't look too hip either. I do not want to offend anyone who wears their cell phone or Blackberry clipped to their pants. That being said, I feel like if you're under 40 and doing it, it's not the coolest look in the world. So I guess I'm willing to trade comfort for appearance. Nice suggestion though.
By
GMan, at 12:14 PM
The solution is pretty obvious. All you have to do is magically turn yourself into a female kangaroo. That pouch will come in mighty handy. You just have to watch out for randy male kangaroos and poachers. Then you're in business.
By
Steve, at 12:27 PM
I would like to follow up on Angry mans comment..and find out what type money clip is it... can I say g*y g*y g*Y?
By
Anonymous, at 1:06 PM
The Kangaroo idea is very clever and I think I'm going to have to look into that. I typical sugggestion by Steve, glad to see that he's starting to get into posting comments.
I actually have some very old material that Steve sent me a few years ago that I might post next week, very funny stuff about whales. Look for that on Tuesday.
By
GMan, at 3:49 PM
Now I know it may be difficult to part with that cruise room key from 1998, but my first suggestion would be to clean out your wallet. It's amazing the things you'll find in there once you take a few minutes to dump it out...you can even reminisce about good times of the past as you throw out your official "bikini inspector card." After you've gotten rid of the junk, you'll realize that the pockets of that wallet have been stretched out so much that putting the few remaining necessary items in would be like [insert crude joke about sexual intercourse with a woman who would not be described as 'tight' here].
At this point I recommend moving on to the wallet/money clip combo. It holds the few essential cards for day-to-day use as well as your cash (thus reducing two pocket-filling items to a single, slim one).
Good Luck,
Cuz #2
By
Anonymous, at 5:11 PM
this is just a suggestion but how about wearing another pair of pants under your other pants then you will double your pocket space.
By
Anonymous, at 9:10 AM
Gary, seriously, if you have a money clip, you don't need a wallet. Ridiculous!
Michaela
By
Anonymous, at 9:13 AM
You wear pants?
By
SJH, at 10:43 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home