The G-Man News-Stand

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

It’s All About the Roses

VS.



This bowl season is filled with more fun games to watch than I’ve seen in the past few years. Some of the more interesting are:

Oklahoma St. vs. Ohio St.
Boise St. vs. Louisville
Miami vs. Florida
Georgia vs. Wisconsin
Michigan vs. Texas
USC vs. Oklahoma

Besides the National Champion Game of USC vs. Oklahoma, one game stands out in my mind as the game to watch this season. The Rose Bowl hosts the Big Ten’s Michigan Wolverines and the #5 team in the country, the Texas Longhorns from the Big 12. These are two very strong and athletic teams filled with NFL talent and the game should not disappoint.

When the Bowl selections were coming out, I was hoping the Texas would get the Rose Bowl nod over California. I had a chance to watch both teams and despite identical records and completely different schedules, Texas stood out as a stronger squad. Cedric Benson is my top RB in the country after Adrian Peterson. He had the 4th most yards per game on the year and was the difference maker in most of the Texas victories. Sophomore QB Vince Young is going to be a collegiate star very soon and this year we saw him come into his own. He was very poised in the pocket, his arm strength seemed to improve, and his running ability makes him lethal. Derrick Johnson is the best line backer in the country and he will wreak havoc on the young Michigan backfield.

Speaking of which, Michigan is led by two freshmen, QB Chad Henne and RB Mike Hart. Both had excellent rookie seasons and will keep Michigan a contender for the next few years. It doesn’t hurt that Henne has WR Braylon Edwards to throw to, my projected top WR in the NFL draft this coming year. The Michigan defense is very athletic and their offensive line is so unbelievable, I think that I could run for 100 yards per game (and I’m 5’6”, 160).

Both schools have a long history of winning and tradition and will put on a great battle. My prediction is that it will be a close first half and then Texas will show their experience in the second half to win the game. I had a chance to attend a UT game on November 8 this year in Austin against Oklahoma St. OSU was ranked at the time and Texas needed the win to have a shot at a BCS game. The Longhorns fell behind 35-7 in the first half and the season looked like it was over. Texas then orchestrated the best comeback I have ever seen, scoring 49 unanswered points to win the game 56-35. After watching Texas fight back and play the most flawless half I’ve ever witnessed, I cannot pick against them. They showed leadership and a passion to win that is very rare and I think that win, along with their final game victory over Texas A&M, will carry over to the Rose Bowl. Michigan on the other hand just lost to arch-rival Ohio State and will be deflated and flat heading into the January 1 game.

Gary's Prediction: Look for Texas led by Benson, Vince Young, and Derrick Johnson to beat the Wolverines and win their first Rose Bowl in school history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home