The G-Man News-Stand

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Supermen

As an accountant, I do not work in a very dangerous profession. It's a safe, quiet industry and you will very rarely see us making the news for anything other than business-related stuff. I've never read anything in the papers about how an accountant saved someone's life, discovered plutonium or was attacked at work by escaped zoo animals. Nope, it's a conservative field with low-risk and high reward. Yet there is a dangerous profession out there that we come in contact everyday and these risk-takers are not getting the due credit they deserve. They are the delivery guys who ride bicycles in Manhattan and by far are the bravest people I have ever seen. In an effort to get people their food as fast as possible, delivery people will ride their bikes at the speed of light, fighting through traffic, weather, danger, and potential injury or death. I've written about delivery people before in reference to the massive tips they get, now lets look at their training and motivation.

There's some kind of hidden delivery guy code that you just do whatever it takes to get to your destination. They pretend like they don't speak much English and can't understand traffic laws, but I'm convinced that it's a front and they are some of the brightest minds in the world. I've seen these lunatics go through red lights, dodge busses, run over people, whatever it takes. For their full tip of $2.28, they're willing to risk their lives and those around them. Sometimes you just have to sit back and respect the effort they're putting forth. I wouldn't't go as far as to call them Supermen, but they're dancing on that line.

I have a vision about a Delivery Man Academy somewhere outside of Manhattan where these people go to train. It's very similar to the "Farm" where the CIA is trained, isolated and top secret. Stores recruit their delivery guys from all around the world, some are former cyclists, military, chef's, and the most qualified and daring delivery people ever. They're put on a strict diet, weight lifting regiment, and are trained in high-speed bike riding tactics. These "soldiers" are put through hell to be able to handle all of the potential disasters that can happen. Judging from what I've seen on the streets, the training exercise when they practice getting knocked off their bikes by speeding busses has to be the most difficult. The first few times must be pretty painful but then you start to get the hang of it and you bounce right back up, food in hand, ready to get back on the bike to deliver. I'm fairly confident that if I got knocked off a bicycle at 50 miles per hour by a NYC bus going 80, my life would probably be over. But not these warriors, they just shake it off, scream something no one can understand, and keep on going.

I presume running over innocent patrons is also a tough lesson plan for them to pick up. I have almost been ran over so many times by these nutjobs that I'm convinced that they're intentionally gunning for me. They ride through such crowded streets and sidewalks that their chance of an accident per trip has to be around 70%. I thought about their mentality, and the key for success is making split decisions and sticking to it. For example, when there's a group of people in your way and you have to run over someone, choose the oldest and frailest because they can easily be ran over, might not remember it, can't fight back, and will probably not hurt your delivery time too much.

So I would like to solute these brave men for tempting ultimate death to get me my turkey sandwich. For the few times I felt that my life was at risk, I forgive you. Thanks for the effort and keep on trucking.

15 Comments:

  • Although unrelated, do we have any post-Valentine's Day funny stories to share?

    If you want to make a connection to today's post, maybe you were lonely, ordered in, and the Delivery Guy swept you off your feet?

    Get the comments rolling.

    By Blogger GMan, at 12:15 PM  

  • Well...remember how I said I'd give it up to anyone who brought me a sandwich and a flower? By the time dinner rolled around I had downgraded to a spicy tuna roll and some miso soup. So, yeah, there was probably much celebration back at Go Sushi last night when the delivery guy got back from my place.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM  

  • Gary, is there some sort of blogger protection program? Although you praised the delivery people of NYC, I wonder if your theory of a Handsome Delivery Guy Training School might lead to being run down on a sidewalk because you know too much. Also, you might want to consider letting others taste your delivery food first before you dig in. Just lookin' out for you, pal.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 1:19 PM  

  • Although I usually address comments in order, I'm sorry but I have to jump straight to Heathers and point something out.

    Firstly, Heather I'm sorry that your date cancelled. However, I would like to take a quick moment to point out best and most impressive call of my life.

    Go to Heather's site which is linked on the right hand bar called Sweet, Sweet Stories of Mine. Click on comments, scroll to the bottom and get back to me. You might notice that I predicted that he'd call her sick and cancel because she preemtively claimed she wasn't hooking up. Wow.

    I am wise beyond my 24 years. Learn from me children.

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:24 PM  

  • Michaela - That's pretty hilarious and if he went through the intensive boot camp I described today, you might have had a fun Valentine's Day.

    Ian - The thought has crossed my mind of these Delivery Super Agents hunting me down and attacking me for knowing too much. I will take precautions and I will name names if I have to. That's why I haven't attached a photo to this page (...that and the fact that I can't figure out how to upload a pick...)

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:26 PM  

  • Gary -

    Sooo...do you have some lottery numbers you feel good about?

    How about guessing the next few results of the roulette wheel for me?

    Come on, help a blogger out...

    By Blogger John S., at 1:34 PM  

  • heather id be willing to take u out to dinner to amke up for the guy that cancelled...
    ill prove that not all guys are asses.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

  • When did this become a dating service? And Clayton is off limits, I only endorse Chesterfield, St. Louis if you have to be in that state.

    John - Trust me, you do not want me to pick any lottery or Roulette numbers. Sure I'm similar to Rainman with my number crunching abilities but I'm Eddie Mush once I get near the tables.

    I will update the link to Heather's new site sometime later this afternoon. Until then, be sure to go view how I predicted her date would cancel on her old site.

    By Blogger GMan, at 3:59 PM  

  • I did notice the link on your site, I appreciate it. We're basically BFF now.

    What I find most amazing is that of the entire state of Missouri, I only know one city and it happens to be where you're from. I visited there once and stayed with a good friend of mine. If he's reading the site, he can vouch that we didn't try any of the restaurants, instead we went on a liquid diet of pure beer. He figured that since I'm in St. Louis, I better experience the fine cuise of Budweiser.

    By Blogger GMan, at 4:54 PM  

  • gary stop blowing spots up...

    and heather as much as i would love to go to chesterfield i think i might have to pass...

    how about i say ill meet u there, then stand u up - making the guy that cancelled on u not look so bad, hence u will give him another chance.

    im a true team player.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 PM  

  • wait wait wait...
    i just read ur story... dude thats just wrong - hysterical as all hell but wrong.

    thats so low not even i would do that... maybe levy would, but hes the only guy i know despicable enough to do that.


    i say u go blow his best friend to get back at him.

    (still staying true to the roots and being a team player).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 PM  

  • Never been to Missouri, but with a baseball team like the Cards it can't be bad.

    This is such a great blog. Including my new link to Heather's I've now found 2 new must reads to add to my blogroll. Thanks Gary! And thanks to Ian for pointing me here in the first place.

    By Blogger John S., at 7:26 PM  

  • Gary Manowitz: beloved champion of young bloggers with no site traffic. nice work, by the way. particularly the fourth paragraph. i hope you don't mind if i post a link to your blog.

    By Blogger Jake, at 8:17 PM  

  • Jake - It appears this site is becomming the gathering ground for all those young up-and-coming bloggers of the world. I think if you combine all of the traffic of the "regulars" who come here, we're not near 10% of the total volume you've gotten. But give us all time, we're gaining momentum.

    I apprecaite the link and everyone can go check out Jakes site called "The Real Jake" linked on the right side of the page. Funny stuff on his sight, fits in well with the genre we got going amongst all of us.

    By Blogger GMan, at 8:40 PM  

  • You could be an accountant for the CIA, or the Department of Defense, or the mafia. Maybe that might add a little excitement to your life!

    Or, you could always moonlight as a bike messenger to get your danger fix.

    By Blogger Anonymous Poet, at 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home