Cell Dangers
If there’s one thing I can’t leave my apartment with every morning, it’s definitely my cell phone. If I forget my keys, my doorman can let me in later. Forgot my money? I’ll stop at an ATM later. Not wearing any pants? I’ll buy some new ones on the way. But the day you leave without your cell phone, all hell breaks loose. The panic settles in immediately, fear overtakes your body. You feel naked and alone, lost in a jungle with no way out. I know that I am so dependent on my cell phone that if it broke down or I lost it, I might as well jump out a window because I’m worthless. The cell phone is in my opinion the best technological development of all time. But sometimes you just have to look past the convenience of a technological advancement to see the harm it is actually doing to people.
What harm am I talking about? Let me tell you a little something about Gary in the mid to late 90s. Prior to my cell phone days I knew everyone’s phone number. I didn’t even need a write down numbers in a phone book because I had it all stored upstairs. I was like the Rainman, I can tell you your phone number, your neighbors phone number, your phone number if you lived in 3 counties over, your cousin’s phone number, a homeless person’s phone number backwards…everything. For fun, I’d study the yellow pages so I knew every Nassau County number by heart. In 1996, I was the runner-up in the New York State amateur phone number guessing competition. For the record, I lost in a heated match against a 15 year old who was doping and his name was released in Canseco’s book. But once I got a cell phone, an interesting trend developed. Rather than jam another 10 digits in my head, I’d type the number into my phone, just to see what would happen.
Before I knew it, all of my numbers were stored in my cell. I stopped memorizing all numbers, deleted the numbers formerly in my head by drinking massive quantities of beer, and became completely dependent on my phone. It wasn’t until my first cell phone crash till I realized how screwed I really was. Now fast forward a few years to the present. I have completely lost the ability to memorize any number whatsoever. I can barely remember my age, what year it is, how tall I am, my apartment address, everything. The cell phone has destroyed my memorizing abilities and I am forever ruined because of it.
A second harm that I would quickly like to write about is the harm it can do to other people. Now many of you won’t believe me but I’m going to fill you in on the real reason why you can’t use a cell phone on an airplane. The story they want you to believe is that it interferes with the plane equipment and signals. The truth is that when a plane is flying at such high altitudes, using a cell phone can make someone’s head explode one out of five times. The cell signal combined with the air pressure cause people’s heads to literally combust and blow up. If you think I’m kidding, try making a cell phone call next time you’re in the air. Before you can finish your conversation, the pilot will get on the intercom and scream, “Who is using a cell phone?!? The co-pilots head just exploded!!” Now if that isn’t harmful, I don’t know what is.
So I have no memory of numbers and the next time I take a flight somewhere, my head may burst. Many of you will argue that I can’t remember anything because I drink way too much. To that I have no comment, but I’m sticking to blaming it on t

28 Comments:
Got some breaking news for the Hoosier faithful out there. My friends Julie Bell and Chris Hochschild got engaged last weekend. Very exciting and I wish them the best.
People are starting to drop like flies these days. I think it's a midwest thing to want to be married by 25. NYC is more about waiting till you're in the 27-30 range.
By
GMan, at 10:24 AM
Oh, sweet Jesus, you're not kidding about people getting married in the midwest. I'm older than you (and older than I'd like to admit), but when I was home over Thanksgiving, everyone was getting married and having kids. It was like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, man. They were all pod people. "Married... kids... preschool... diapers..." Where can I move to wait until the 35-40 range?
By
Ian C., at 10:37 AM
Now about the cell phones - do you take yours into the bathroom with you or is the whole process just too fast?
And regardless of whether it's legit or not, I don't want cell phones on airplanes. A two-hour flight from Chicago to New York, listening to some guy talk about the sushi joint he and Dave from Marketing went to last night? No thanks.
"Oh yeah, we almost got that blowfish that'll kill you... I know... I know... Oh, hell no. Maybe after a couple of Asahis, man. No, I stick to the California rolls. You think they use real crab in those? I think mine was real crab. You can really taste the difference..."
My head would explode because I just stuck it out the emergency door.
By
Ian C., at 10:42 AM
When I was graduating from Indiana, I already received 3 wedding invitations. Kind of freaked me out.
Ian - I hate any talking on planes whatsoever, phone or no phone. Flying is a time for sleeping, reading, and practicing not talking. That's very difficult for me since I like enjoy talking most of they day. However, I feel that it is plane etiquette to just shut my mouth and close my eyes.
By
GMan, at 10:55 AM
Heather, I'm between classes with time to kill. I'm spinnin' through the blogs, man, lovin' and leavin' 'em.
By
Ian C., at 11:32 AM
Hey Gary - really enjoyed running into your blog. Seriously, so many people write about the the most mundane drivel. Thanks for spicing it up. I personally believe I've been blessed with a more demented sense of humor, as you have too, my friend, and enjoy writing on topics such as "drinking before drinking" and "sex before sex", as you know, all germane, timely topics of incredible relevance.
Keep it up and I'll definitely be back soon.
Doc
By
LJM, at 11:38 AM
I think e-mail is a bit of an insualtor against cell phones, sicne it's much harder to lose those. So, it's an easy proposition to write an e-mail asking for that lost number.
A couple years ago I lost my cellphone and didn't replace it for 2 months. I thought it was fantastic, but everyone kept getting pissed off at me becasue they couldn't get in touch.
By
John S., at 12:01 PM
gary,
hmmm...interesting blog - just curious though, what is the charge code for blogging?
saul
By
Anonymous, at 12:19 PM
young here
By
Anonymous, at 12:31 PM
Heather - I have a good feeling that the flip phone isn't stopping the cancer. Hopefully this won't happen, but eventually when it is proven that cell phones cause cancer, using your phone will be compared to smoking cigs and having sex. TV ads and the government will encourage abstinence from using your cell, cell phones will have labels on them that "this product will cause cancer"...It'll be a big mess.
LJM - Glad to have a new reader. I check out her site entitled "rants from oblivion" and I have linked it on the righthand side of the page. Go check it out when you get a chance. In a word, it's interesting.
By
GMan, at 12:47 PM
my step daughter's cell phone was recently stolen in the city (NYC) and as a result of not remembering her new boyfriends phone # and not returning any of the calls he'd left on her stolen phone, THEY BROKE UP. I think it'd be nice if the phone co.'s could offer a service where you could amass your #'s (in some safe area, like where your bill is stored) so that you could retrieve them when necessary.
On the bright side though, sometimes losing a cell phone can be to one's advantage - my stepdaughter said her boyfriend wasnt really all that much anyway.
By
LJM, at 12:51 PM
Gary, you have me concerned about anyone who might be smoking and talking on his or her cell phone while having sex. How fast before this poor schmoe just melts into some sort of cancerous goo?
By
Ian C., at 12:55 PM
Gary - Just noticed you put my link on your page - Thanks man, you're cool.
Doc
ps - Oh yeah, LJM (me)is a HE not a SHE (almost tempted to retract the "you're cool" statement)
pps - I'll return the favor (the link one, not the gender one)lol
By
LJM, at 1:01 PM
Cell phones can cause cancer?!
That's it, I'm not putting my phone in my mouth EVER again.
By
Steve, at 1:24 PM
Hey, it's not just your mouth, pal.
... not that I would know anything about that.
By
Ian C., at 1:29 PM
LJM - Sorry for the slip up. I'm sure you're quite masculine. My bad.
Steve - I have nothing to say. That's pretty funny. Start chewing on your keys instead.
Heather - I'm drinking a can of diet coke right now and you're ruining this experience for me. I'm pretty sure that no matter what I eat, breathe, or drink we're all screwed. Eh, drink up.
By
GMan, at 2:58 PM
Since I feel like sharing my endless knowledge with all of you folks. #1. In order not to loose all of your phone numbers, you should syncronize ur phone with outlook, if incase you are unable to do that.. just get a blank sim card and store the numbers once in a while.. for those who got Virizon..tough shit.. ask G-Man he spend a few sleeples nights re-entering phone numbers.
#2. The law that does not allow us to use cell phones on the plane is just to protect all of us from our neighbors tlaking on the phone from the remainer of the flight,i can see some drama if that was the case.. they soon will probably have Cell phone cabins or some shit like that. Sorry g, dont feel that funny today.
Big Sash
By
Anonymous, at 5:39 PM
I got some good news and some bad news...
First the bad news: A recent study came out that said cell phones do in fact cause growths on the side of the head.
The good news: In order for this to happen, you would have to talk continously on your cell phone for about 10 years, so no worries.
By
Anonymous, at 5:44 PM
It's ok Sasha, we appreciate the effort. I'm sure you'll practice commenting over the weekend and come back with a vengeance on Monday.
Brad - I know a few girls who would be freaked out by hearing that. They might take 15 years though cause I'm 85% sure they don't sleep with it attached to their head. But like I said, 85%...
By
GMan, at 7:41 PM
G-Man . . . Is THIS a cult? You seem very popular.
Let me see, based on the previous responses, here goes: Man, you're cool. And funny too. [Insert something witty and obscure].
(Just kidding). Thanks for stopping by. You are free to join the poetry cult anytime. Then, you'll get a chance to drink the Kool-Aid.
By
Anonymous Poet, at 8:17 PM
Well Anonymous Poet, I'll tell you what. Throw some everclear in the cool-aid and sure, I'll have a toast with your poetry club. However, the one request I have for you coming to this site is that you get a nickname because I can't be writing Anonymous Poet too many times. The layout of the keys in "anonymous" is too difficult and it slows me down. Remember, I'm a man of efficiency.
By
GMan, at 8:56 PM
Well Heather, that poem reminds me of the scene in meet the parents when Greg Focker is asked to say grace. So to retort, in the words of the very wise Gaylord Focker:
"Oh, dear god, thank you, you are such a good god to us. A kind and gentle and accommodating god, and we thank you oh sweet, sweet lord of hosts for the smorgasbord you have so aptly laid at our table this day, and each day, by day, day by day, by day oh dear lord three things we pray to love thee more dearly, to see thee more clearly, to follow thee more nearly, day, by day, by day. Amen."
By
GMan, at 9:31 PM
After the care bare posts, I don't know if Gary can be called harmless.
Unlikely to stalk may be a better description.
By
John S., at 6:14 AM
you've chosen some pretty mundane everyday topics and turned them into interesting entries...and witty ones to boot. good job there!
(although i must add that the part about using cell phones on aircraft sounds like such a bunch of hocus pocus!)
By
compassioNAT, at 6:26 AM
Two typos above are particularly funny:
cool-aid: As if drinking this substance will somehow help you be cooler.
care bares: Is this the escort/stripper division of the Care Bear line?
By
Vicki, at 9:52 AM
I have to many scruples to put this on the care bear site, so I'll post it here:
Another Care Bear is stripper bear. Stripper bear is seemingly fun and entertaining, yet secretly resents all the people who play with her. She comes complete with removeable g-string and a cd player filled with the latest in stripping music. Stipper Bear's motto is: Show me the money, and look but don't touch or the bouncer will beat the crap out of you.
By
John S., at 11:45 AM
John - I love that bar. My sister has that one sitting next to crackhead bear. He's feigning for some crack, never sleeps, and has been trying to score some rock to get a date with stripper bear.
By
GMan, at 2:21 PM
There is no way thats possible. on 911 everybody on the plane knew they were probably going to die anyway, so they got out their phones and made calls to people they love to say goodbye. did any of those people blow up? no.
By
Anonymous, at 1:06 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home