The G-Man News-Stand

Friday, February 18, 2005

Starting Early

It’s been a long week, you’ve been working hard and late, and Friday has finally approached us. Since you’ve had your eye on going out all week, you feel a sense of excitement and anticipation. All that hard work and dedication does not go unrewarded tonight when you begin your evening and start drinking a few adult beverages. I’ve been thinking about Friday happy hour since Tuesday afternoon and I’m pumped to go out drinking with some friends. Despite being excited for hitting the bars on a Friday afternoon, a vision has crept into my mind which makes me more than a little nervous. What is the vision you ask? It’s a picture of myself, after drinking more than a few adult beverages, piss-drunk and blacked out, eating late night McDonalds. I’m nervous that I might have a small problem.

I’ve actually done some homework by looking through some medical research manuals and found out that the proper terminology for this type of behavior is “Preemptive Shitfaced.” Sorry for the language but that is what the scientists and doctors are calling it. I have had many a days viewing myself getting wasted hours before going out and I think I am subject to this condition. But the question I’m asking myself and the readers out there should as well is, “does this mean I have a drinking problem?”

After minutes and minutes of pondering, I determined that I do not have a drinking problem. Alcoholism can be identified by spotting a few indicators. Try to apply these to yourself and see if you have a problem if you just get Preemptive Shitfaced. Firstly, do you drink alone? I have never come home after a long days work and drank my own vat of liquor. I’ll actually rarely have a beer alone. That being said, if I invite one person over, that makes it fair game to get out the funnel (beer bong for you Midwesterners), line up the shots, and start going to town. Do you drink everyday? I refuse to drink on Sundays and sometimes even Mondays. I know people out there who would attach an IV of vodka to their body on a Monday night if it was sociably acceptable; those are the people with problems. Finally, do you replace dinner with a liquid meal? Well, I won’t lie to the readers out there; I do drink many of my meals on the weekend and especially Friday nights. Looking ahead to this Friday night, I already know that I’m starting at a happy hour and there’s a 95% I won’t be eating dinner. Now I know what everyone’s thinking, “Gary, there’s a lot of vitamins, nutrients, and protein in beer. Plus, isn’t lite beer on the Atkins diet?” I hear your cries but rumor has it that it’s not great for you to replace meals with beer. And if you think a loophole is having a fruity drink to get your vitamins, I’ve looked into it and I don’t think it works. Kids, eat your food and vegetables, it’s good for you.

So one out of three isn’t too bad and it’s official that I do not have a drinking problem. I just enjoy spending quality time, drinking a couple beverages with good company. Anyone out there who is already Preemptive Shitfaced, I feel you and start counting down the hours. Have a good weekend, especially those of you getting off for President’s Day.

18 Comments:

  • Gary, I'm going to take exception to your "drinking is not a meal" theory. Because if I'm not getting my 8 essentials from my Sunday afternoon Bloody Mary, then really, all hope is lost for me. The thing is a salad with vodka, man.

    But somewhere in your post today is a determinist, "Matrix"-type of thing going on. By thinking about getting drunk on Friday on Tuesday, are you essentially already getting drunk? And if you weren't thinking about getting drunk, would you get drunk later in the week at Happy Hour?

    Ponder THAT shit, yo.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 11:08 AM  

  • RE: Problem Drinking
    Was it WC Fields who said: I dont have a problem drinking - my problem's when I try to stop drinking.

    FOR IAN: If I'm already buzzed thinking about drinking, what happens when I really drink??

    By Blogger LJM, at 11:19 AM  

  • LJM, just make sure you're not thinking about your buzz on an empty stomach.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 11:29 AM  

  • We don't do Del Taco here in NYC, I've actually never heard of it. We stick to the big guns out here, NYC style pizza, McDonald's, and Bodega food. And LD can vouch for me on this but there is absolutely no burrito places open late night that I've seen in all of Manhattan.

    Ian - I'm buying into your Bloody Mary theory. Very well thought out and you sold me.

    By Blogger GMan, at 11:34 AM  

  • Hey Gary,

    It may just be me but didnt you do a blog like a couple weeks ago about the happy hour friday starting early thing.

    Just thought id point that out for you to get some new material.


    I come to ur site expecting more from you.

    "Quote the Angry Man, Nevermore"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 AM  

  • That's why they call him the Angriest Man Alive, always trying to bring down a good time. They are what you might call a connector story, just embellishing on the early anticipation of Happy Hour.

    And don't let Levy's poetic quote fool you. He's an accountant and as his roommate, I can vouch that his is not poetic, nor whitty and clever at all. So much anger, so little time.

    By Blogger GMan, at 12:15 PM  

  • Let me pose this situation to you:

    If you're talking to someone online and they're drinking with a friend, but they're not nearby so you can't join them, does it count as drinking alone if you decide to crack one open while you're talking to them?

    p.s.-
    Heather,
    What's wrong with opening the curtain in the Wizard of Oz? Before they opened it, they were all being intimidated and strong-armed. After Toto did his thing, they were enlightened with the fact that he was a fake. So I'm not sure that I get your analogy.

    By Blogger Steve, at 12:38 PM  

  • So, if I've been thinking about drinking on friday since tuesday shouldn't I be shitfaced by now? And, if that's the case, wouldn't I be enjoying my job a whole hell of a lot more than I am? Or, at the very least, shouldn't I be passed out under my desk?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 PM  

  • After reading Heather's thoughts on Del Taco (which isn't in Iowa either), I began to think about the Monte Cristo sandwich - something I'm convinced absolutely no one eats while sober. French toast with ham and cheese, drenched in syrup?

    Is such a thing craved by you people who are buzzed from thinking about Friday happy hour since Tuesday? Maybe that's how you make it through the week without being shitfaced.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 1:09 PM  

  • Very deep thoughts going on today. Wizard of Oz analogies and lots of philosophy. I think Michaela said it best, "if I've been thinking about drinking on friday since tuesday shouldn't I be shitfaced by now?"

    I agree, this should kick in any minute I'm hoping.

    By Blogger GMan, at 2:22 PM  

  • The advil and gatorade routine is gaining momentum these days and I think I should eventually give it a shot. By the time I stumpble home, I can barely find my bed, let alone a small bottle of tylenol.

    Happy Hours are starting real soon. I'm getting the shakes already to go out. Sorry midwest and beyond, you guys have a little bit longer.

    By Blogger GMan, at 4:40 PM  

  • Wow, Heather... I certainly would have had no idea what you were talking about unless you provided me with the details, so thanks for filling me in.

    By the way, the Wizard of Oz was gay. Gotta go now, discuss....

    By Blogger Steve, at 4:52 PM  

  • Heather, you explained my analogy perfectly. Well done.

    And by the way, my name is Vicki and I'm apparently an alcoholic.

    #1 I've been known to drink alone, but only like one drink.

    #2 I drink beer or Bloody Marys on Sundays (occasionally) and have been known to have a glass of wine at dinner with my parents on a Monday. Sue me.

    #3 I often forget to eat dinner if I start drinking too early. Bailey's on the rocks is practically the same as a chocoloate protein shake, though, so I think I'm in the clear.

    In my book, as long as you can go a day or so w/o drinking and don't get the shakes if you don't have alcohol pumping through your veins (coughGarycough) then you're not an alcoholic. Trust me. My way is a lot more fun.

    By Blogger Vicki, at 6:22 PM  

  • Hi Heather :)

    I didn't mean to imply that the Wizard of Oz sucks. I actually think it's a really good movie. Lots of symbolism going on there. When I said "gay," I was referring to the character himself. And it wasn't even serious, merely a parting comment meant to provoke discussion about the orientation of the Wizard. I probably was not clear enough.

    And yes, your analogy does work, once you explain it =) As far as I know, we don't even have Del Tacos here.

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:56 PM  

  • I'm drinking alone on a Friday night. But I'm not an alcoholic. What's the tired old line? Alcoholics go to meetings?

    Okay it's just one beer. After that first beer, which followed the first, preceded by the first. Like I said, just my first beer...

    By Blogger John S., at 8:06 PM  

  • Well, it's Saturday morning and I'm going to work like a loser. 8 hours of fun, here I come.

    By Blogger John S., at 7:52 AM  

  • changed your link title as you requested. and thanks for returning the favor, of course. i'd love to comment on your latest post, but *cough* i'm underage so i really don't know much about that alcohall stuff...*cough*...isn't that how you spell it?

    By Blogger Jake, at 1:30 PM  

  • Dayna - Fear not, I have heard from some creditable sources that Jimmy is a big President's Day fan and might make a cameo tomorrow.

    Jake - We here at the G-Man News-Stand do not encourage underage drinking and I'm glad that you are responsible enough to wait until reaching the legal age. That being said, take notes on what you learn from this site so when you are over 21, you'll be well educated and prepared to handle any drinking situation which presents' itself.

    By Blogger GMan, at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home