The G-Man News-Stand

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Hallmark Cards

The act of giving someone a present is a very self-fulfilling process. It’s great to see the look on their face, the excitement…the magic. Sometimes going out and buying the gift is a fun experience as well. Could provide a few laughs and entertainment while you ponder in a store all of the possibilities. Buying the card for the gift…that just might be the worst experience ever and I might officially quit giving cards for any holiday or birthday from here on out.

Now I guess I can almost understand giving a Hallmark card if you need to mail something or can’t be present for the event. However, if you are physically going to be handing the present to the person and they will open it immediately, can’t we do without the card? It’s not like I will hand a person a gift and they’ll be like “Wow, I wonder who this one is from?” You know who the box is coming from, I just handed it to you. But no, the rules of society say that we need to lay down $4.75 for a regular sized Hallmark card to give a little explanation why we are giving a gift. Are there people out there who on their Birthday start doubting themselves and think that it might be Christmas? Or maybe sometimes the cards that start with “To my dad…” are there to remind the person what their relationship is. “Hmmm…Oh yeah, this is my son, not my grandmother.” Plus, there is so much pressure with the card being opened right in front of you; this whole process needs to stop.

I’ve wasted so much time roaming the rows of potential Hallmark cards trying to find one that perfectly “fits me.” The key is finding that one diamond in the rough that isn’t too corny, makes you giggle, and won’t completely humiliate you when a person reads it in front of you. So you go up and down the rows giving the cards practice reads, testing them on people, analyzing each word. You try to visualize yourself giving the card to the person and anticipate the reaction. In the end, the entire process takes around 1-3 hours but you do feel a slight sense of accomplishment when you finally pick a card. You took a near impossible task of looking through hundreds of cards in front of you to find the one that truly completes the gift giving process.

Now here’s some bad news that you don’t want to hear but I’m going to lay it down anyway. I’m pretty sure that most people don’t care what’s in the card and once they get it start thinking about how long they are obligated to keep it on display. The person who received the card knows that this person probably spent tons of time looking for the perfect card. But how long can you really keep a Peanuts character card reminding you that you are old out on the kitchen counter? People giving the cards become so emotionally attached to the card they give that you have to be very careful. Maybe there should be a direct correlation between the time people spend looking for cards and how long you must hold on to it. So if you searched for a card for 30 minutes, you jot that fact on the inside of the card and the recipient keeps it on display for a day and 10 minutes. If you looked for the card for 5 days, the recipient will keep your birthday card for 3 months. It’s that simple, just give us some kind of formula to fix the card keeping etiquette.

If you work for Hallmark in the writing department and are reading this, please try harder. I think the majority of the writers gave up trying to be humorous somewhere in the mid 90’s. Actual funny cards would probably change everything but until then, we’ll keep looking for the best we can find and hope for the best. On a side note, this article once again proves my theory that Hallmark controls the world.

13 Comments:

  • Two words: blank cards. Of course, that usually requires extra writing on your part, but very few cards say exactly what I want them to say, so I'd prefer to just say it myself.

    But I HATE (HATE, HATE!) people opening my cards in front of me, especially if they feel the need to read it out loud. Then either the lameness of the card is fully apparent, or something I preferred to be relatively private gets thrown out into the open. ("Dear Joe, I would totally go gay for you. Love, Ian. P.S. If the pants don't fit, I'll return them for you.)

    I gave up long ago on expecting people to keep my cards around. That was destroyed in there-is-no-Santa fashion for me as a kid when my mother threw out a birthday card I bought for her within the same week. Now, I always expect people to throw the card out, unless I've written something truly heartfelt (see above). And when I notice one of my cards tacked to a refrigerator or on a shelf, it's a pleasant surprise.

    But Gary, even worse than Hallmark cards are #$%@ing Christmas cards. How much postage, shelf space, etc., is wasted on these useless gestures each year?

    Keeping it short and sweet this morning...

    By Blogger Ian C., at 10:26 AM  

  • Does this mean I can finally empty my footlocker full of old birthday cards from my grandmother (deceased now 25 years) and my aunt with the bad breath and friends I now hate and all the Christmas cards from the gas company?!?!!?
    Oh God, thanks G-man!

    By Blogger LJM, at 10:39 AM  

  • I can not believe that you spend time to write your blog, yet no time to watch 24. I see where your dedication is, Chase.

    -You know who I am

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM  

  • Don't people realize that giving some one a Hallmark card is really just an excuse to avoid coming up with a meaningful message or statement on their own? Be offended by your lazy boyfriend/girlfriend/friend that doesn't have the originality to express their thoughts without the aid of a cheesy Hallmark card.

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:19 AM  

  • I quit giving cards a long time ago and no one has noticed/commented since. As a matter of fact, this tradition started with my mom at Christmas about 10 years ago. She gave me a card with money in it (among other presents) and my mannerless 14 year-old self flipped over the card and noticed it cost $2.25. I told my mom that next year I would like to receive the exact same card, but with an extra $2.25 in it. She thought it was brilliant (no having to waste time next year looking for another stupid card with a stupid fat man on it) and I made some extra cash. And the best part is she STILL does that every year.

    By Blogger Vicki, at 12:50 PM  

  • I think cards DO have a place for those not-quite-worthy-of-a-present occasions, such as, say, weddings!

    By Blogger Ian C., at 1:22 PM  

  • Hallmark should have a recycling program similar to what you see on soda cans. If you return the card to them, they give you back 5 cents or so on the card. I don't know where I'm going with that, just sounded good in my head.

    Seems like the theme here is that we don't like Hallmark cards at all. The idea of writing your own message sounds good and all, but speaking for the lazy population, it just doesn't work out in practice. Isn't that what buying a card all about? You're too lazy to think of the right things to say, so you pay for someone else to do it. All we have to do is sign our name. Makes sense to me, just sucks in reality.

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:27 PM  

  • Well, I have a very simple rule for whenever I need to buy a card for someone. I make sure that I purchase one which has absolutely nothing to do with the occasion or person.

    I've purchased a "Happy 9th Birthday, Son" card with a monster on the front for a girl's Sweet 16. And for his graduation, I gave my pasty white friend Drew a "Congratulations" card geared towards African-Americans. This also works when I give a "Get Well Soon" card to someone celebrating an Anniversary, or a "Happy St. Patrick's Day" card in July.

    Some people might think that's crazy, but certainly not when compared to stalking Avril Lavigne and keeping an altar to her in my house... of which, by the way, the district attoney never had enough proof to get a conviction.

    By Blogger Steve, at 1:53 PM  

  • u didnt watch 24... how dare u miss the greatest current show on regular TV.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

  • Sounds like Gary needs a "Sorry you missed 24" card...

    Maybe that dude (or was it a lady - I don't watch) getting tortured by taser can be on the front.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 2:52 PM  

  • I do need a "I can't believe you missed 24" card. Let me begin by appologizing to all my fans, family, and those who rely on me to regularly watch 24 every week. I did miss last night's episode for the first time since the first episode of Season 3. I know I let a lot of you down, but have no fear. Mr. Mathew Langdon Kohn taped last night's show for me and I will watch it sometime this week.

    I'll catch up and be back with a vengeance.

    By Blogger GMan, at 3:28 PM  

  • It was a great episode that follows the basic rules (which I've just made up):

    1. At least one major character got killed

    2. Someone did something really stupid

    3. Jack saves at least one person from imminent danger

    4. Someone is asked to keep an eye on someone else who may be talking to Jack

    By Blogger Steve, at 5:23 PM  

  • I wish I could et wway without sending Christmas cards. If someone in the extended family doesn't get on, people start to talk.

    By Blogger John S., at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home