The G-Man News-Stand

Friday, February 25, 2005

Tough Guys?

I have always been very proud of the state of New York of which I was born and raised. Now that I’m living in Manhattan, I have a ton of pride towards my new home and could not see myself living anywhere else in the country. We have great sports teams (although I hate the Yankees, I do respect their tradition and wins), an unbelievable nightlife, and it is the center of the Universe for business. Tons of movies have been made about New York, generally giving our city an image of being full of tough guys: Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, The Untouchables, Analyze This, and The Soprano family lives just over the bridge. New Yorkers love being portrayed as tough and having that “I don’t take nothing from nobody” attitude. That being said, I am shocked at how scared and pathetic New Yorkers get when it snows out.

Since as early as I can remember, New York was never able to handle snow. When I was in elementary school, the district would close down the schools a day early for the chance that it might snow tomorrow. If it snows in the city, all public transportation stops immediately. It’s not like the fact that it snows in New York should surprise anyone, we are in the Northeastern part of the United States. Is the state government under the impression that we live in a Puerto Rican climate and snow is a freak occurrence? Every year it snows and mass hysteria breaks out, this is nothing new. I lived in Indiana and they never had snow problems. If 5 feet of snow came down, we still had classes and people drove faster for fun. But not New York, it’s a state-wide emergency if there’s a 2% chance that it might snow.

Yesterday morning, reports came out that it was going to snow later that afternoon and everyone was talking about a huge storm coming our way. It was as if the cold war started again, people were running to the stores to get enough food and supplies to last through the blizzard, children were crying and screaming, people took off work early. I had plans for yesterday around 7 which were cancelled at lunchtime because of the dangers of traveling in the snow storm which is supposed to start in a few hours. If anyone actually listened to the weather report and “severe” storm warnings, they might read that we were only expecting around 5-7 inches of total snow. I think the final total in the city was 4 inches when the storm ended. For a city which fought off a 200 foot ape when King Kong climbed the Empire State Building and houses more potential mafia people than anywhere in the world, we sure get frightened by a few inches of frozen water. I’ve seen the movie Godzilla and when he attacked Manhattan, I don’t remember the 4,5,6 subway line being shut down. However, a couple of snowflakes fall and we have to shut down the bus system immediately.

So to all you New Yorkers out there who become little school girls when it snows, toughen up. We’re suppoed to be the “How you doin?” city. Not the “I’m doing just fine! My brother-in-law picked me up from the airport and everyone’s been real nice!” city. Step it up, be tough, and lets try to act the way the rest of the world thinks we should.

14 Comments:

  • We've had 509 bushfires in our country since jan 1st. if it snows here in singapore, work, school, offices and and bus systems will all shut down and people will step out of their homes and celebrate the good weather.

    By Blogger compassioNAT, at 11:20 AM  

  • Lower Michigan is pretty good about dealing with snow, but the cities love the salt. I swear there's an inch of salt on the ground the night before every snow.

    Northern MI is fantastic about dealing with snow. They have the huge snow removal equipment that looks like an 8 ft. tall snowblower. Wouldn't want to get in front of that thing.

    By Blogger John S., at 11:38 AM  

  • I don't think NYC has figured out that salt and things that are hot get rid of snow. We are still frigtened by the site and are in the caveman days of getting rid of it.

    By Blogger GMan, at 11:50 AM  

  • Ahh Gary, you were deffitnitly talking about me. This morning I woke up, looked out the window and decided not to go to school. I'm paying for college and in some classes we're reviewing for midterms but my fear of snow will not allow me to go to class.

    But I think New York does a good job at handeling the snow, it's just that people just want any excuse to avoid any responicibility (ie school, work, taking care of thier sick grandmother).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM  

  • Unfortunately for me, the fear of snow doesn't extend up to Ithaca, NY. As soon as reports of a potential flurry come out, they've got the plows and salters revving up. I don't think that there's been a snow day here in....ever (maybe before plows were invented). So when a storm sweeps across the east coast and I hear my friends at Maryland and Delaware rejoycing about the days off that they get, I'm walking through 3 feet of snow to get to the unstoppable tcat busses that would run even if it was raining fire.
    Just a brief comment on yesterday's post...i wouldn't call your past pets "dogs" so much as "poodles" that are scared of everything (except cookie, he's kinda cool).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

  • I'm surprised that New Yorkers are that skittish about snow. Not as bad as what I hear from my sister down in Charleston, SC, but like you said, this happens every year.

    Deep down, I think we all want snow days, like we're back in grade school. We want to say the weather was bad enough that we couldn't leave the house.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 12:33 PM  

  • id like to refute the little man's blog today...
    im a nyer... always have been, always will be.

    and i am not fightened of snow.. i embrace it... y - b/c i want days off of doing shit.
    i want to lounge around my house and play madden all day instead of going to work. we nyers are just smart and realize that if we cause this hysteria we get days off work/school.
    and thats what its all about... chillin at home playing maddeon online w/ ur friends and winning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 PM  

  • Arun - When was the last time that you got off of work for a snow day? I've had fantasies of it before but it's never actually happened. The fact that you grew up in NY AND stayed in-state to go to college just makes me lose that much more respect for you.

    Brad - I'm sure Ithaca sucks, way too intense for a Manhattan boy like myself.

    By Blogger GMan, at 12:57 PM  

  • gary - respect me less... u lie u never had any respect for me.

    and i took off work from PwC frequently when there was snow on the ground and said i was working from "home" aka sitting on my ass playing videogames.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 PM  

  • I'm going to blame this on local TV stations and their weathermen. All these dudes with their super-duper-Doppler radars and sky-trackers want to one-up the competition and declare everything as "storm of the century," so you heard it on their channel first. They're just trying to scare the hell out of you - so, of course, everyone's scared.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 4:04 PM  

  • Ian - It might also be possible that the weathermen are trying to scare everyone off the roads so they can have an easier drive to work. Just like the Curb episode when the weatherman predicts rain so he can get on the golf course easily.

    Arun - You got me there. I never had any respect for you. How did you ever figure me out?

    By Blogger GMan, at 4:15 PM  

  • Maybe because we're in the middle of the country, but when the weathermen predict a huge snowstorm, we usually get 2-4". Our 1 - 2 ft. dumps seem to come when people don't expect them.

    But, this is also a state where I've seen snow and 65 degress in the same day.

    By Blogger John S., at 5:24 PM  

  • Kayla -

    That reminds me of an experiment gone bad one year a the university of Michigan. Being the good liberals that they are, they tried to use an enviromentally friendly alternative to salt. So they got this brown nature friendly liquid with the consistency of soy sauce that had a terrible smell. It would also get all over your shoes and pants. Fortunately it washed out.

    However, all building in and around campus soon had an inch deep puddle of soy sauce getting tracked all over the place and stinking up the entire city. It took over the whole campus. So, I think they got rid of that crap after a year.

    By Blogger John S., at 11:30 AM  

  • Decent page, enjoyed it a lot, I can never get enough of golf equipment dallas if you can't either check out my site golf equipment dallas

    By Blogger QcynqSWG, at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home