The G-Man News-Stand

Monday, February 28, 2005

The Blackout

There are many potential immediate side effects from a night of drinking. People have experienced the punishment called hangovers. Some get headaches, feel sick, get the spins and go through other miserable experiences when waking up the morning after. I would personally take all of those possible morning penalties over the worst of them all…The Blackout. People who have black spots from the night before think they have it good, but little do they know the dangers of blacking out. That’s why I’ve decided to explain what The Blackout is all about and help you prepare to identify it and best protect yourself.

Webster’s dictionary defines Blacking Out as the act of blacking out. Let me elaborate by explaining that Blackouts involve short-term memory loss of a piece of, or the entire preceding night. Your average run-of-the-mill Blackout will usually allow the subject to recall the earlier stages of the drinking experience but can’t remember anything after a certain part of the evening. The major issue with Blacking Out isn’t the brain damage which you might have or your liver failure but the potential that you offended someone the night before or did something you shouldn’t have and can’t remember doing it. Every moment knocks off precious minutes to make that apology phone call or bracing yourself for an ass whooping by whoever. I know that I’ve woken up a few times and felt like I’m in the movie Memento, trying desperately to piece together my evening to figure out what adventure I’d been in. The best advice I can give is to stay calm, take some deep breaths and try to think like a detective for a little bit.

The key to figuring out where you’ve been and what you did is to start looking for clues right when you wake up, every second is crucial. Start by trying to identify your surroundings. Are you in your bedroom or your own apartment? Is this your neighbors place? Are you on a front lawn somewhere or at a stranger’s house? All are key questions to begin the unfolding process. Next, start to look around and see who’s there. Do you recognize the person sleeping next to you? Are there a bunch of people lying on the floor? Is the person sitting next to you in the drunk tank touching you? Finally, start taking inventory of yourself; see if there are any scars or noticeable marks that can uncover a clue. Passing out in your clothes is the best sign, that probably means you were just too drunk to change. If you have a few knife wounds, you were probably in a dangerous fight you didn’t belong in. Claw marks or bites can indicate that a wild animal attacked you, like a bear or tiger, which is common in Manhattan. Finally comes the crucial decision of running away or staying put. If it’s your own apartment, I advise you stay put. If you know you shouldn’t be where you are, don’t want to be where you are, or still have no clue where you are, I advise running away quickly and going home. Or at the least, catch a bus or train home from whatever state you’ve ended up in.

The key is practice and the more times you Blackout, the easier it gets to piece together the night. So listen up kids and start learning how to brace yourself for Blackouts now so you can be more prepared when you’re in a time crunch situation a few years down the road.

19 Comments:

  • Heather, that sounds dangerously close to what scientists might classify as a "Cat fight." Also, you might have what is known as "Beer muscles" which I will get into more detail in a future posting.

    But that's huge that you've never blacked out. I don't forget the entire night, just bits and pieces here and there. And I should add that once people start giving you details to what happened the night before, it is possible to start remembering everything. It just takes time, like coming out of a coma.

    By Blogger GMan, at 9:58 AM  

  • For the record, I would like to note that today's posting is dedicated to my good friend Jonny Blackout who is out in Chicago. He has blacked out more times than has ever been done before. Actually, I don't think there's many times when he does not blackout. Plus, he holds the record for highest breathalizer reading the time he broke a .3 sometime in 2003.

    By Blogger GMan, at 10:00 AM  

  • Do blackouts get worse as you get older? On one hand, a younger person can bounce back faster. On the other, tolerance increases as you drink more and get older.

    My worst blackout was New Year's Eve 1999. I literally can't remember a whole 3-4 hours after midnight, yet I've heard stories, seen pictures, etc. of what happened. Ever since then, I've been out of practice.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 11:26 AM  

  • The only time i've really blacked out was my freshman year slope day (last day of classes, everyone drinks as much as humanly possible and hangs out on a big hill with live music). The day started off fine with a breakfast of bagels, beer, and screwdrivers. The last thing i remember is walking over to the slope and hearing rusted root playing 'send me on my way.'

    Flash to 6:30 that night. I wake up (in a bed not my own) to my phone ringing. Apparently the doctor i interned for was visiting the school with his daughter that day and wanted to take me and my brother (yes that's correct english) out to dinner. I managed to put myself together and headed out with possibly the worst hangover of my life...hilarity ensued. To this day, i still have no idea what happened between 10 am and 6:30 pm of that fateful day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 AM  

  • Although I've only had a blackout once in my life, I'm still pretty young and have a long ways to go.
    But honostly, I liked that one blackout. I'd take that blackout over hangovers ANY day! I think the idea of not knowing what happened for a period of time is very exciting. It's fun, interesting and exciting. You learn things about yuorself you wouldn't have learned otherwise. And if something crazy happens "Oh shit, I'm sorry, I was drunk" will always work and you can sincerely say you don't rememeber it and make the other person not think much of your behavior.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • I always reserve my Saturday mornings for an intense search to find my misplaced vehicle. Being in Manhattan, you probably do not have to deal with that part of the blackout experience. Perhaps back in Indiana?

    Good times.

    By Blogger Fist of Trueness, at 12:44 PM  

  • I've never had blackout that I know of. Sounds like I'm missing out.

    I always feel bad for the people who get sick the morning after. If I ever get sick, it is that night and by morning I am good.

    I really miss the days when I didn't get hangovers. For a long time I could drink as much as I wanted and feel fine in the morning as long as I got 8 hours sleep.

    Now, over about 5 drinks and I get a massive hangover in the morning. Maybe it's drinking like I stil have a college level tolerance - from back when the earliest I ever had to get up was 10:00?

    By Blogger John S., at 12:59 PM  

  • Ian C - I think blackouts get worse as you get older. The older you are, the more important the stuff you're involved in becomes. Therefore, you're probably blacking out on some crucial stuff.

    Brad and Gregg - All I hear about from you two is this Slope Day. I think I need to go this year to get the full experience. However, that would be against a promise to myself that I would never, ever, ever step foot on the campus of Cornell. It'll be an internal struggle but potentially worthwhile.

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:15 PM  

  • Benny Blanco - I can tell you're very young. Trust me when I say that Blackouts only lead to bad news. No one actually buys that excuse of "I was drunk," using it just gets you in more trouble. I've adjusted my response to the question "why did you do that?" to go something like "I'm an idiot." It's honest and I think it's more appreciated as a response than "I drank too much."

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:17 PM  

  • C - I don't have a car in NY so that has never been a problem. But on a funny sidenote, when I was at school in Indiana, I used to teach a few classes when I was in business school first thing Friday morning. Obviously, I'd get disgusting Thursday night at the bars, then struggle to get up Friday morning, drive to the business school, and teach. By the second or third class I taught, I'd finally sober up and when it was time to leave, I would never remember where I parked my car in the morning. Pretty sad and pathetic, I know.

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:20 PM  

  • Actually Gary, this might be the year to do it. Friday, May 16th Snoop Dogg hits up the slope. And that's only the first act that's been booked. You may be thinking to yourself, "Snoop Dogg at Cornell?" Well considering the past two years with fat joe/rusted root, and kanye west/o.a.r. the slope is turning into a premier venue for rap star/white rock combos...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

  • Just watching a little Daily Show:

    1. Jon Stewart and Peter Jennings spent a good 5 minutes praising bloggers, so keep it up gary and everyone else here with a blog.

    2. Nebraska Senator: we have a bit of snow in nebraska, so this doesn't pose much of a challenge to me
    Jon Stewart: and yet i am in the fetal position quivering

    You might have been on to something Gary...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 PM  

  • I envy you New Yorkers, with the fancy pubic transportation system. Here in the Motor City we are forced to drive everywhere (unless you want to stay in a 4 block radius of Downtown, then you can ride the Detroit mugger mover a little ways.)

    So there always has to be a DD - Prefering, of course to avoid the drunk drive. And although watching your friends blown out can be funny, it's nowhere near as fun as being destroyed yourself.

    By Blogger John S., at 7:20 AM  

  • I never thought I'd be saying this, but I am definitly an official seasoned veteran of the blacking out experience. Let me share my knowledge on this complexing phenomenon. You may spend years of heavy drinking without ever blacking out. But one day, when it does happen, it opens a new chapter in your alcoholic endeavors. That's right...once you black out....it's gonna happen again. And again. Possibly with lesser amounts of alcohol. And although there will be certain times when you are informed of things you did that you do not remember and can conclude that you did indeed blac out, there will be all those other times when you may have possibly blacked out, but don't remember doing it, and nobody is gonna make you aware of the stupid things you did while you were busy forgetting doing them. Anyway, if this hasn't brought you the same confusion that comes after a night of "blacking out", I'd like to make a final comment. I hate when people ask me..."Did you black out? " How the hell would I remember?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:00 PM  

  • Allie doesn't comment much but when she does, it's damn insiteful. I agree that after one blackout experience it happens much more often. That being said, have you ever had something terrible happen to you at the bars then you either conciously or unconciously decided that you NEED to black this out? Not that I can remember, but I'm wondering if that has ever happened to me.

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:24 PM  

  • Great blog! I also have a site about Pembrokeshire Waterskiing
    . You can check it out at Pembrokeshire Waterskiing
    .

    Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

    FREE Sony DVD Handycam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 AM  

  • ebay online shopping resources are tough to find. Good post though. Have a look here if you would ebay online shopping

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 PM  

  • Great post. Ive just set up a site about send flowers today

    send flowers today

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • Want a great bird feeder? Click Here!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home