The G-Man News-Stand

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Care to Share?

One of my favorite parts of going to a meal with friends is splitting an appetizer. I love appetizer foods and if they weren’t the unhealthiest foods ever, I’d probably consider getting them for the meal instead. So when I’m with a group of people, I look forward to ordering an appetizer for the table to get my fix. But what happens when sharing certain appetizers goes bad?

Now everyone out there loves to eat nachos, especially when there’s all kinds of stuff piled on top like cheese, chicken, sauces, etc. However, in all of my years of nacho eating, I have never come across a time when the cheese was equally distributed over the entire plate of nachos. This is where the issues come in to play because everyone wants that big lump of cheese. The question is who is clever and strong enough to make the move to get it first. You have many different types of food sharing people: those that just don’t care and attack the plate no matter who gets hurt and others that are more passive and wait for an opportunity to get that big chip with tons of cheese and other stuff on it. There’s potential for a lot of broken hearts when the “nacho bully” comes around, grabs that huge chip with the large piece of cheese hanging on it you’ve been eyeing and leaves just naked chips left on the plate. And then there’s that one chip sitting in the middle that looks all innocent but happens to be connected to 17 other chips, thus giving that lucky person the majority of the food. There needs to be some kind of appetizer sharing etiquette. I’ve seen friendships end and families torn apart from bad appetizer sharing experiences.

Another issue to consider is when there’s one chip or chicken wing left on the plate. Everyone wants to eat it but no one wants to look too selfish. The most textbook move is to ask everyone “do you want the last one?” because of course no one is going to say, “yeah, it’s mine.” The person who asks the questions is always the person who will get to eat it. As an accountant, I’m all for doing some kind of formula for a distribution based on the number of pieces of food remaining, the amount everyone has eaten thus far, potential dinners on their way, and an X-factor of people I like best. I’ll have to crunch some numbers and see if I can come up with something that makes sense. Along the same lines, if you’re on a date, as a man are you required to give the woman the last piece? I don’t think so, especially if the guy is paying. Woman can show their appreciation by letting your hungry guy get that last mozzarella stick, it goes a long way.

So next time you’re all eyeing down the last cheese-filled nacho or fighting over the final french fry, consider your appetizer etiquette. A small sacrifice now can pay off big in the long run.

11 Comments:

  • Sorry for the delay in posting today, I didn't get a chance to post it this morning. But don't worry, it'll go back on schedule tomorrow morning.

    And a quick good luck to the Indiana bball team playing at Wisconsin tonight. NYC people should go to Proof to watch the game (3rd ave and 20th St.)

    By Blogger GMan, at 1:27 PM  

  • Gary, it was worth the wait. Speaking as an occasional nacho bully, everything seems even when the plate first arrives. No one knows where the good cheese is; you're just trying to negotiate the mess.

    One tactic is to just take it when the others are too busy talking or not looking. Snooze, you lose, pal. Or you can be the good guy and offer to cut it up.

    However, I don't think there's ever a reason to get into a "who wants the last one" discussion with chicken wings. There's an obvious number of wings that can be equally distributed... unless you have an odd number of people. Then I think you just ask the question, as you said.

    Christ, I'm hungry right now.

    P.S. Big win for IU over MSU on Sunday. Build on that momentum, man!

    By Blogger Ian C., at 1:41 PM  

  • Ian, I agree. Anything that can be divided by the piece (wings, pizza) should be. Anything else - free for all.

    Gary, I throw in one more twist. I don't take first or last. But in between, everyone else at the table better watch out or their hands might get bitten as well. Survival of the fitest, i say.

    By Blogger John S., at 2:44 PM  

  • Sorry but... one of the ways you can tell if a a girl really likes you is if she is willing to give you the last bite. Having a small scrap of what's left isn't really too much to ask for when you're paying for the entire meal.

    Although I don't think that I would go as far as saying it shows how much someone "respects" you. Like, "Here... this chicken wing is a symbol of my utmost respect for you."

    Unless, of course, the sauce is blow-your-socks-off hot. In that case, it's a clear sign that you are meant to be together and have 1,000 babies.

    By Blogger Steve, at 2:54 PM  

  • My friends generally go with the surviver approach to sharing food. That makes it tough for me since I am a passive appetizer participant. I often get screwed out of eating my fair share because I'm usually stuck talking. Or maybe my friends are more clever than I think and I've just been tricked into answering questions while they all eat. My friends are dead to me...

    By Blogger GMan, at 2:57 PM  

  • By the way, G-Man... there's a flaw in your argument. Upon asking everyone if they want the last of something, the questioner only guarantees himself a portion of what remains.

    When the final item present is a nacho, stick, etc. that can be divided, the next stage in the process involves the ability of all those present to make a last-minute claim. The first person to do so will then have rights to half of the remaining appetizer, at which point, the asker or the askee will utter the eternal phrase, "Wanna split it?"

    This is commonly done so that neither the original asker nor the askee has to look like a selfish ass.

    By Blogger Steve, at 4:03 PM  

  • I think the only appropriate respons to the question "want to split it?" is no.

    By Blogger John S., at 6:31 PM  

  • I think John anticipated my response to Steve in that there's an extremely low probability that anyone asked if they want a piece will say no. That's the beauty of it, even if you want it, who wants to share it? Then someone is going to use their dirty hands to rip the thing apart (utensils are for wusses) and suddenly the appetizer is much less desirable.

    By Blogger GMan, at 6:44 PM  

  • To elaborate on Gregg's comment, that free-for-all method of eating food is dangerous. The "etiquette" was that if anything in your possession makes contact with an item of food hanging off of your plate, you can eat it. My personal weapon of choice was the table knife which was great for defense. If you stopped someone once with the knife, they'd probably never try again. And who wants to defend a knife going 90 mph at your plate? I still have no idea where those rules came from but they made us tough. And now I have intense sharing phobeia because of it.

    By Blogger GMan, at 6:48 PM  

  • To resolve the issue over nachos being attached to one another, I shall quote one of the greatist examples of cinematic art in the past five years...Saving Silverman:

    "If two nachos are stuck together, then it's just one nacho."

    I believe this applies to any number of said 'nachos.'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:10 PM  

  • Instead of the knife, you could effectively defend your plate by licking every item immediately after being served.

    I think this method of food defense would be of particular value on a date. You would never have to worry about her stealing your food.. Or going out with you again, for that matter.

    By Blogger John S., at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home