The G-Man News-Stand

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Menu Madness

When you think about ordering food in Manhattan, the first thing that probably crosses your mind is the thousands of restaurants in the city. There are so many choices to order from that you may think that the decision of where to eat is near impossible. Choosing a place to eat is extremely difficult but it’s not from the options out there.

After living in the city for a year and a half, I have learned that there are basically four options when ordering food: Chinese, Sushi, Deli, and other stuff. How is it possible that of all the genres out there we are left with these four? I can pin it down to one general reason. Everyday when I come home from work, there are anywhere between one and four delivery menus in my apartment. The local restaurants pay their delivery people to walk around apartment buildings and drop their menu under the door. When I first moved into the city, I thought this was the best concept ever. I didn’t even have to leave my apartment to select the take out menus I wanted; they would just appear every day. But 5 menus turned to 15. And 15 grew to 45. Now, I have a stack of 400 menus sitting in a drawer, some places having 3 or 4 of their menus representing. I guess the logic is that if you get the menu in the apartment, there’s a small probability that you will select their menu. Once I make the difficult decision of selecting Chinese, Sushi, Deli, or other stuff, then it’s down to sorting through the hundreds of menus I have and picking a place. After a while, they all start sounding the same, the prices are all in the same range, and very little distinguishes one from the other. For a restaurant to be selected by me to order from, it’s kind of like them winning the lotto. The grand payoff of this lottery, $8.50 for my Sweet and Sour Chicken Dinner Special but they earned it with their hard menu handing out strategy.

For some strange reason, the “other stuff” restaurants have not figured out the menu dropping strategy. So we’re all clear on what makes up the category, other stuff is comprised of many different genres such as Mexican, Pizza, Italian, and whatever else might be near your neighborhood. In my stack of 400 menus in my apartment, I think I have two Mexican menus both from the same place, one pizza menu for the infamous Pizza 33 which is very overrated, and maybe a Tai Food place. The key to winning the “where is Gary ordering from sweepstakes” is to get at least one entry in the game. You can’t win if you don’t play. It’s kind of like the NBA lottery; having more “balls” in selecting who gets the first overall pick gives you a better chance of winning. Same thing in ordering food, the more menus you have in the better chance you have of me picking it. The major problem with this analogy is that in the NBA, it’s the worst team in the league with the best chance. I’d hate to think that all this time I’ve been picking the worst and most unsanitary Chinese restaurants in the city just because they’re dropping a ton of menus under my door. But if they are, I’d have to say that I’m impressed with the effort and they earned my business.

Although this routine appears to be praise towards the menus under my door, it actually drives me nuts always walking into my apartment and stepping on menus. Eventually, I’m going to start blacklisting the restaurants who continually feed me menus. And I would love to catch those people in the act one day, just so I could hand him the 30 menus he’s littered in my apartment over the past year. Why should I throw out his garbage, he should take care of it himself. That’s all I have for now on food delivery, I think three routines is enough.

9 Comments:

  • Remember the Seinfeld when Kramer returned all of his Pottery Barn catalogs to the store? You should do that.

    I hear you about getting sick of stepping on menus when you come home. What upsets me the most though is this one sushi place that drops a menu under my door at least twice a week. It upsets me because I already order from there!! I mean seriously, you've already got me. You're the only sushi restaurant where I can order by picture!! I don't need 55 of your menus!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • The ratio of number of takeout menus passed out to quality of restaurant is a good one. Presumably, the really good places just have people come to them. But that takes some work on your part.

    Sheer effort by these joints does end up being rewarded, even if it's because they've papered you into submission.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 11:09 AM  

  • It's time to make good use of the conference calling function on your phone. Dial up one place, tell them what you want, ask for a price, and then call a competing restaurant and ask for the same thing while the first guy is still on the line. Then allow them to bid against each other to offer you the cheapest price. After they shout back and forth at each other in Chinese for awhile, you'll have yourself a sweet deal for your sweet & sour chicken.

    "When Chinese restaurants compete, you win."

    (This has been yet another of my revolutionary ideas. Patent pending.)

    By Blogger Steve, at 1:54 PM  

  • Steve - That is a very funny idea. It would be hysterical if people are arguing back and forth and you can't understand what they're saying. If they're real clever, you'll be paying more by the end.

    Michaela - I was thinking of that Seinfeld when I thought up this routine. The whole idea of giving back your mail is so funny.

    By Blogger GMan, at 2:27 PM  

  • I think the New York Times might be taking its cues from the G-Man News Stand. In today's edition, ten New Yorkers gave their choices for top delivery food in their neighborhood.

    http://www.nytimes.com/ref/dining/DELIVERY-REF.html

    By Blogger Ian C., at 6:09 PM  

  • We have a serious lack of delivery places here. You can only get stuff from pizza places. No deli, sushi, or other. And most Chinese places don't deliver, either.

    Maybe we could expand upon a seinfeld idea and get bums to deliver people's food from restuarants.

    By Blogger John S., at 6:47 PM  

  • I don't want to start any false rumors or anything, but I heard that Gary went to Chippendales on Wednesday night and got a little overly flirtatious with some of the staff. When the cops showed up to arrest him, he was found in possession of narcotics and taken into custody. Upon doing a background check, the police discovered that he had a bevy of unpaid parking tickets over the course of the last 3 years... all of which were due to parking in front of a fire hydrant located outside Chippendales. After obtaining a search warrant, the authorities knocked down the door to his apartment, and found a strange altar devoted to "Michael Jackson, My Personal Hero and Savior." However, as Gregg mentioned, Gary should be out of prison on bail by Monday.

    By Blogger Steve, at 1:46 PM  

  • Damn, another good man brought down by the stripper fix.

    By Blogger Ian C., at 3:32 PM  

  • Just a quick note to say that we'll be back up and running on Monday. Busy week is slowing me down a bit with this stuff but I'll be sure to get some funny material up for next week.

    And I will not confirm or deny any rumors floating around on this board.

    By Blogger GMan, at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home